Curriculum documents, publications, press, and
more information from and about Seeds of STEM.
Home Activities for your Preschooler
You can solve problems with your child at home. We adapted some of the Seeds of STEM classroom activities to simple problem solving tasks that can be completed at home.
Week 2: Solving problems with ice and water. Experiment with melting and freezing by exploring ice properties. How can you get a small toy out of an ice chunk?
Week 3: Solving problem about habitats. Learn about Forest, Ocean, and Polar habitats through online read-alouds and songs. Create a model habitat for two animals to play together.
Week 4: Exploring the 5 senses. Explore the five senses and the body parts associated with each sense. Then, create a '5-senses care package' to share with a loved one.
Week 5: Forces and motion: The animals need your help!. Look for push and pull items around your house or in the neighborhood, create art with rolling and sliding objects, and create a safe sled for 10 'animals'.
Week 6: It's spring! Create a model of a plant and its parts. Go on a nature walk, look into your refrigerator - plants are all around us. Create a model of a plant that summarizes your investigations.
Solved a problem? tweet us photos of your solutions @seedsofstem
1) Sibuma, B., Bostwick, C. & Channoi, S. (2018, November). Priming Preschoolers to Enter
the Engineering Pipeline through Problem-Solving. Massachusetts STEM Summit, Worcester, MA. Link
2) Dubosarsky, M., Bostwick, C. & Channoi, S. (2018, November). SEEDS OF STEM: Problem-based STEM Curriculum For Early Childhood. Massachusetts Association of Science Teachers Conference, Boxborough, MA.
3) Sibuma, B. & John, M.S. (2018, March). The impact of an integrated Pre-K STEM Curriculum on teachers’ engineering content knowledge, self-efficacy, and teaching practices. Integrated STEM Education Conference (ISEC), Princeton, NJ.
4) Dubosarsky, M.,Bostwick, C. & Channoi, S.(2017, November). Seeds of STEM: A research based STEM curriculum for preschool classrooms—Teaching preschoolers and their teachers how to solve problems. National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA.
5) John, M.S., Wunnava, S. & Channoi S. (2017, November). Seeds of STEM: Early Childhood Engineering Curriculum from Diversity and Collaboration Perspective. Massachusetts STEM Summit, Worcester, MA.
6) John, M.S. & Wunnava, S. (2017, October). Diversity and Inclusion in a Problem-based Early Childhood STEM Curriculum. National STEM Education Research and Practice Summit, West Lafayette, IN.
7) Dubosarsky, M., Bostwick, C. & Channoi, S. (2017, June). Seeds of STEM: Problem-based Early Childhood STEM Curriculum. 2017 ASEE Workshop on PreK-12 Engineering Education, Columbus, OH.
8) Dubosarsky, M., Cyr, M., Bostwick, C., & Grudoff, C. (2016, November). Seeds of STEM: Problem-based Early Childhood STEM Curriculum. Massachusetts STEM Summit, Worcester, MA. Link PDF
Seeds of STEM in the News
1) Teaching science and math to the youngest of students Worcester Telegram & Gazette article about the Seeds of STEM project, August 2016 Link
2) The Daily Herd, July 2016
Journal and Proceeding Articles
1) Sibuma, B., Wunnava, S., John,M., Anggoro, F., & Dubosarsky, M. (2018, March). The impact of an integrated Pre-K STEM Curriculum on teachers’ engineering content knowledge, self-efficacy, and teaching practices. In Integrated STEM Education Conference (ISEC), 2018 IEEE (pp. 234-237). IEEE. Link
2) John, M.S., Sibuma, B., Wunnava, S., Anggoro, F. and Dubosarsky, M. (2018). An Iterative Participatory Approach to Developing an Early Childhood Problem-based STEM Curriculum. European Journal of STEM Education, 3(3), 07. Link
1) Dubosarsky M., John M.S., Anggoro F., Wunnava S., Celik U. (2018) Seeds of STEM: The Development of a Problem-Based STEM Curriculum for Early Childhood Classrooms. In: English L., Moore T. (eds) Early Engineering Learning. Early Mathematics Learning and Development. Springer, Singapore Link
1) Seeds of STEM: Developing Innovative Early Childhood Curriculum. Scientia. Scientia is an online science communication newsletter that profiles projects that fall under a certain theme. URL: scientia.global (open access) Link